DETAILS + CHOICES
1. WE COME TO YOUR SCHOOL!
This is a fun, effective interactive language and drama workshop, where students get to learn, listen, read, speak, interpret and some even perform text extracts
i FORM – PERFORMANCE ONLY OR ii FORM – WORKSHOP
2. YOUR SCHOOL COMES TO US
ONLY for a performance by MFT and NOT a student workshop, you can organise an excursion to our La Maison de Maitre building see below:
i FORM – PERFORMANCE ONLY
MFT PERFORMERS CAN PERFORM for either 1. or 2. above – the roles and showcase in alternation in English then French all 10 scenes.
i PERFORMANCE 40 minutes approximately OR
ii WORKSHOP – 2 periods or classes
THEATRE + LANGUAGE
It involves vocal and physical theatre and language techniques – adapts to the year levels, excites even the most reserved participants to compete for a role and all have the chance to read and imaginatively contribute
The workshop and texts are available in:
(a) French or
(b) French and English [bilingual] or
at the school’s request/discretion.
FULL TEACHERS’ PACKS with resume, exercises, lesson/workshop plan and the text/s – available upon payment of the invoice for the booking.
SUITABLE for Grades 3 to 6 [Performance only]
Years 7 to 12 [Workshop or Performance][designed flexibly and adapts easily to all school environments].
i FORM – PERFORMANCE ONLY
MFT actors present the scenes and then perform them.
ii FORM – WORKSHOP
It takes the form of a workshop/competition and uses a cross-curricular approach (Drama & French) to engage students in a collaborative learning experience. It is also designed to be an inexpensive and flexible incursion that can be adapted to the time available and abilities of different classes. The workshops are led by experienced French-speaking animateur [including actors] in subgroups of 15 or less and allows students of French to reflect on their language use through an expressive performance in French.
In groups lead by an animateur, the students are seed coached, with a teacher pre-selected cast where a cast list for each subgroup is sent to MFT before the day – for the 9 character roles. Then the ‘cast’ for that group is directed in the rehearsed reading of the text. After the groups reunite and all casts from each group perform the piece before all the other students. A panel adjudicates the best performances [based on language, projection, acting and overall interpretation] and give a small MFT souvenir to the best students in each of the 9 roles.
Maximum number of workshops at any one school in 1 day is 2.
The workshop is not just for French students but also primary and secondary level drama [select the English only workshop]. There are 8 character roles and 1 narrator [reads all stage directions and scene descriptions] roles .
Remember the incursion can be in French OR English OR a bilingual French‐English version can be provided upon teachers’ request. Please specify. An English translation is provided for teaching purposes and to assist teachers and students. Supporting worksheets are also included which can be used as an aid to help students’ comprehension of the text and acquaint them with the author.
The extract from Le Petit Nicolas can cover 5 scenes (a selection) and 2 classes/double period are/is recommended – the first for the coaching and the second to present the work). It provides an opportunity for students to experience interactions in common social situations: for example, “family life”, “shopping”, “maths and cost of goods” and “at the market”. Teachers may choose to develop these situations/themes further post-visit.
After teachers have introduced the topic they may choose to have students read the text and complete supporting worksheets in class, or at home. For the performance, students could work in small groups on an allocated scene OR be given specific roles to prepare. A lesson plan style programme/kit will be sent to teachers after paid booking.
– are all suitable, just as long as we can divide the groups in a main hall or in other rooms to coach in subgroups for preparation by the animateurs. We need enough tables for each group and if possible enough chairs for all students, as well as a laptop, and data projector and extension cables for our presentation
For the workshop teachers best cover the text in class in basic preparation and select the student participants and their roles 9 out of the 15; the others will be stage hands or extras and if time allows we may rotate roles. We cover 5 out of the 10 scenes.
We would meet in a main area with the whole workshop group and break off in classrooms for the preparation of the first part and then all students come back to present in the main area before the whole group – for each workshop.
After an introduction, the visiting MFT personnel will conduct a workshop with the students Teachers have pre-selected [lists must be sent to MFT beforehand] in the 9 roles plus a narrator to present a dramatised reading of the text as a model and then conduct a workshop with students to help them develop their own performance. The students will be able to present their interpretations for judging. MFT personnel will direct students to entertain and enhance their learning experience.
Please complete the form below with any queries in the first instance and we shall respond to you.
- Teachers Preparation Packs/Kits with themes and exercises and workshop/lesson plans
- French, English and bilingual English-French texts [as applicable] and
- Scene by scene summary in English
– are available upon a paid booking – terms and conditions and cancellation policy are listed in the invoice and in our Pricing Policy [as applicable].
Depending on the number of students and number of sessions [to be held on the same day for availability of our team and logistics], we have a number of animateurs. We divide the groups into subgroups run by an animateur of up to 15. For maximum benefit each student MUST be given a copy of the text as soon as possible beforehand and available on the day.
COST, TERMS + CONDITIONS
Costings are during the week – weekend rates – to be advised.
Incursion pricing per student from 1 September 2018:
- $15 (metropolitan schools)
- $18 (country schools outside the Melbourne Metropolitan Area)
- Teachers / school staff: free
Excursion pricing to our venue from 1 July 2018: $20 per student
- Teachers / school staff: free
- * Extra fees apply for additional animateurs depending on numbers and school needs – MFT will have to quote as required and upon request. *
- School Booking fees [separate to the above charges and per workshop/performance] are $50
- Extra workshops and performances on the same day in addition to one, for each = $200
- Invoices issue
- AFTV – enquire with AFTV if your school is a member for a subsidy click here
- The Victorian Multicultural Commission offers funding for schools under Multicultural Festivals and Events or for Cultural Diversity Week events
What we provide
- Teachers’ pack [full kit and technical plan] upon paid booking
- transport of our team to your school [if incursion]
- the costumes and accessories
- Animateurs from MFT
What we ask the School to organise [incursion]:
- Venue for show + dressing/preparation area [send us photos]
- Student attendance/management
- Payment in advance
- If an overnight stay is required (regional schools), we do ask for the school to provide meals and accommodation for our team
- Minimal lighting and lapel microphones if needed [depends on venue acoustics]
- Some refreshment (light meal / drinks) for the team [incursion only]
- Some school furniture – to be advised
- video projector + screen for English surtitles and pictures
- parking on site for 3 cars
- Excursion to our venue – 50 paying students in 1 session/workshop due to seating restrictions in our venue in Carlton
- Incursion – minimum of 100 paying students in 2 sessions/workshops [or if less as long as you pay for this number] per workshop/session needed to make travel to your school economically viable – with no maximum dependent on school venue – can run several sessions on the same day – to be determined – you can combine with other schools at your venue to make up numbers
- For economy, workshops in double periods are one after the other to only cover one-half day [mornings preferred] to avoid a full day where a surcharge or loading applies for our animateurs in addition to the base price above
- Maximum numbers need to be discussed as more than the 2 workshops/sessions/groups are usually needed if over 100 students. For numbers over 100 separate workshops/sessions need to be organised at the extra cost, so students receive maximum time and benefit from the incursion. The best format is for each animateur to manage a group of up to 15 students to prepare and instruct.
- we can quote on a case by case basis
- whilst some of us have Working with Children cards, the requisite number of teachers must be in attendance at all times
- [the show is adapted to any type of performance space – schools can combine – but with consent of a host school only – in this way smaller numbers MAY be accommodated
- For more than one session at one school – the minimum of 100 paying students per session is still required for each show performance and groups can be divided into subgroups – each run by animateurs [actors + a teacher]
- the school agrees to provide light refreshments [food and drink]
Our Pricing Policy and other terms and conditions apply as follows and other may be advised –
- By making a booking – payment is required in full and your school agrees to abide by our terms and conditions and pricing policy [for school tours and in general] which is on our website at Pricing Policy, except as may be varied in the invoice
- Direct deposit or credit card payments only are accepted. Cheques are no longer accepted.
- There is a $50 booking fee
- No booking is confirmed until receipt of cleared funds in payment
- Schools which pay first receive priority for confirmed bookings
- The school acknowledges that all MFT personnel when attending on school premises are covered by the usual guests and visitors insurances
- The school agrees to provide sandwiches and refreshments to MFT personnel including bottles of water and tea and coffee]
- Should the school cancel, MFT is entitled to retain or receive a 50% cancellation fee calculated on the total value of the invoice.
- Subject to acceptance by MFT, if the School changes the date/time a change of date/time fee of $100 is payable. If MFT cannot comply with the change of date then the request is treated as a cancellation in accordance with the preceding clause. A minor change incurs a $20 per change.
Season availability: NOW!
– with notice TERMS 1, 2, 3 and 4
For workshops [not performances] small encouragement prizes will be awarded in recognition for the students spontaneously assessed as the best in their roles in language and/or drama.